English // Español // Française // Pусский // 正體字/繁體字
Astraea launched the Intersex Human Rights Fund in 2015 to honor the resilience, creativity and growth of intersex activism and to ensure the human rights of intersex people.
We recognize that the entrenched practice of organizing the world into the sex binary and gender binary has alarming and rights-violating consequences for intersex bodies. People with intersex variations face invisibility, stigma, discrimination and violence. Intersex babies, children and teenagers are widely subjected to normalizing, non-consensual, harmful surgeries and other medical interventions, with life-long consequences, including but not limited to sterilization and genital mutilation. There are very few legal frameworks to protect intersex people from multiple forms of discrimination and institutional violence. While intersex activism has been growing around the world, intersex issues and communities remain starkly under-funded, receiving less than a fraction of 1% of global foundation funding for LGBTQI people and/or women and girls.
The Intersex Human Rights Fund supports organizations, projects and timely campaigns led by intersex activists working to ensure the human rights, bodily autonomy, physical integrity and self-determination of intersex people. Given the dearth of funding to intersex issues globally, intersex groups/projects based anywhere in the world are eligible to apply.
Astraea particularly seeks proposals from intersex activists who have never applied for a grant or received foundation funding. Groups with small or no budgets, staff or structures are eligible and encouraged to apply.
We accept proposals online in English, Spanish, and French.
We accept proposals in Mandarin, Arabic, and Russian via email (IntersexFund@astraeafoundation.org). Budget template to download: here in English, here in Mandarin, here in Russian.
نحن نقبل المقترحات باللغة الماندرين والعربية والروسية عبر البريد الإلكتروني (IntersexFund@astraeafoundation.org).
We make grants with the support of our Intersex Fund Advisory Board, a body of six intersex activists covering all regions of the world who inform our grantmaking strategies and decisions.
How to Apply:
We are proud to announce a new call for proposals for the sixth cycle of our Intersex Human Rights Fund. The Intersex Human Rights Fund supports organizations, projects and timely campaigns led by intersex activists working to ensure the human rights, bodily autonomy, physical integrity and self-determination of intersex people. Given the dearth of funding to intersex issues globally, intersex groups/projects based anywhere in the world are eligible to apply.
First-Time Application Link: Please follow the following URL to access our system ONLY for the first time and to create an account:
- https://www.GrantRequest.com/SID_5722?SA=SNA&FID=35059 (If you use this link after creating an account, it will create new application copies, so please only use it to create an account).
- After following this link, please click on “New Applicant / Nuevo Solicitante /Nouveau demandeur“ to create a new online account.
- We have recorded a Tutorial on how to use our online application system. Please view it (it’s about 12 minutes) on Vimeo, or in Español on Vimeo.
- If possible, create your online account using a generic organizational email address: this will allow others in your organization to access it, if necessary.
- Next, open up the FY20 Intersex English Application (the link located at the very bottom of the webpage) and begin answering questions.
- This application does not need to be completed in one visit, you may “Save & Finish” to complete it at a later time.
- Please save your work regularly (by clicking “Save” at the bottom of any tab of the application) so that you do not lose work. The system will email you a copy of your draft.
- To return to your unfinished application, please use Astraea’s Organizational URL, https://www.grantrequest.com/SID_5722?SA=AM, from now on. This link will allow you to log back in and see your pending and submitted applications.
Proposal Deadline: March 27, 2020
If you have questions about how to complete the application, please reach out to Astraea staff at IntersexFund@astraeafoundation.org.