Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is seeking to hire an exceptional leader to the newly created position of Director, Institutional Partnerships (IP).
Strategic Leadership and Project Management
- Work closely with VP of Strategic Engagement to establish and implement the strategy and vision for the institutional partnerships team;
- Work closely with VP of Strategic Engagement and other Development Team leaders to manage fiscally sponsored projects, donor advised funds, and similar; lead coordination for institutional funders;
- In partnership with the Executive and Program teams, lead the Astraea Foundation’s philanthropic advocacy work by leveraging our relationships and reputation to influence the field of philanthropy.
- Hire, structure, and cultivate a strong Institutional Partnerships team;
- Supervise, coach, and mentor direct reports through consistent feedback channels and engage in the organization’s Reflection and Growth process;
- Provide strong project management leadership to ensure that all IP team’s internal deadlines are met;
- Ensure that the IP team works in strong and streamlined coordination with Finance and Program teams to meet all requirements of grant proposals and reports;
- Supervise maintenance of detailed and accurate records and funder interactions;
- Ensure that internal policies and handbook are followed and updated regularly;
- Oversee the work of grant writing consultants as needed.
Stewardship and Solicitation
- In close collaboration with the VP of Strategic Engagement, create and implement overall strategies for stewardship of relationships that the Astraea Foundation has with private foundation and government funders;
- Coordinate strategic funder stewardship activities;
- Lead the implementation of the Institutional Partnerships team’s management strategy and overall fundraising strategy at the Astraea Foundation;
- Manage portfolio of complex, government funders, including stewarding relationships and developing proposals and reports, in collaboration with Executive Team;
- Manage portfolio of institutional resource partners, including all related correspondence and preparing and facilitating relevant funder meetings and comprehensive reports;
- Develop detailed and compelling proposals, concept notes, budgets, and correspondence to represent the Astraea Foundation’s programs and institutional activities to funders;
- Oversee the portfolio management of all other team members to ensure that relationships are well-stewarded and that communications about the organization are aligned.
Prospecting and Cultivation
- Build relationships with the philanthropic community, donors, and peers through networking opportunities and represent the Astraea Foundation at conferences and speaking opportunities;
- Oversee IP team’s prospecting and pipeline building;
- Evaluate new opportunities and prospective funding partnerships to align with the Astraea Foundation’s strategies and priorities;
- Research and stay informed of emerging trends and practices in philanthropy and institutional giving.
Internal Coordination and Collaboration
- Build and maintain deep knowledge of the Astraea Foundation’s programming through relationships and collaboration with Program team;
- Serve on the Strategic Engagement leadership team, create and implement broad, multi-channel fundraising strategies;
- Participate in ongoing management team meetings as a representative of the Development team;
- Oversee tracking of funder restrictions, compliance requirements and the Astraea Foundation’s execution of said requirements in coordination with Program and Finance teams.
Required Skills and Experience
- A minimum of seven (7) years of fundraising experience, preferably in areas of strategic interest to the Astraea Foundation, such as organizations focusing on or part of LGBTQI+ or feminist issues, human rights, or gender, racial, migrant, or economic justice issues;
- Demonstrated experience managing complex institutional funding relationships, specifically bilateral and multilateral partnerships;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal and external relationships;
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to handle multiple and often competing priorities and due dates;
- Ability to work efficiently, collaboratively, and flexibly as part of a diverse team in a global organization;
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to hold sensitive or confidential information with care;
- Knowledge of fundraising and donor management software;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Passion for the Astraea Foundation’s mission as a public foundation and women’s fund and acceptance of the Astraea Foundation’s core values and guiding principles as a social justice funder;
- Ability to travel approximately 25% of the time.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience and/or demonstrated interest in social justice, human rights, development and/or philanthropic fields;
- Experience with constructing budgets, and/or tracking revenue;
- Experience at a public foundation or women’s fund;
- Comfortable talking about identities such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, sex characteristics, class, ability, or gender in plain, specific terms;
- Knowledge of issues facing domestic and global LGBTQI+, feminist and racial, economic, and gender justice movements.
Putting into practice our feminist values of being an organization that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive, and acknowledging that we all come from different lived experiences and backgrounds, we recognize work experience in the field over degrees or certifications for this position.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a CV and covering letter, detailing how you fulfill the role description and personal specification to Perrett Laver’s Vacancies page quoting reference 7103. The deadline for applications is Sunday, March 24, 2024, at Midnight ET.
This is a remote, flexible role that can be based in any location globally, but candidates must have the existing right to work in their preferred location and to adhere to core working hours 9:00am-Noon ET. The Astraea Foundation offers a competitive salary and benefits for this position, including resources for professional development. The annual compensation is $130,000-$158,000 USD.
The selection committee will together review all candidates’ applications and agree on a longlist for the role. Longlisted candidates will be invited to discuss the position with Perrett Laver in greater detail. The selection committee will subsequently meet to decide upon a final shortlist to be invited to the formal interview stage.
The Astraea Foundation is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. We select, place, train, and promote the best-qualified individuals based upon relevant factors such as work quality, attitude, and experience to provide equal opportunity for all of our employees without regard to non-work-related factors such as sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sex characteristics, age, marital status, disability, economic status, personal appearance including height and weight, family responsibility, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other status. We strive to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates needing individualized support during the hiring process. Please express that with your cover letter and resume submission.
Protecting your personal data is of the upmost importance to Perrett Laver and we take this responsibility very seriously. Any information obtained by our trading divisions is held and processed in accordance with the relevant data protection legislation. The data you provide us with is securely stored on our computerized database and transferred to our clients for the purposes of presenting you as a candidate and/or considering your suitability for a role you have registered interest in.
Perrett Laver is a Data Controller and a Data Processor, as defined under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Our legal basis for much of our data processing activity is ‘Legitimate Interests’. You have the right to object to us processing your data in this way. For more information about this, your rights, and our approach to Data Protection and Privacy, please see our Privacy Statement.