The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI+ human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The Astraea Foundation is the first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations; we play a catalytic role for LGBTQI+ groups worldwide – notably those led by lesbian, bisexual, and queer women, trans and gender-nonconforming people, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to build powerful justice movements. The Astraea Foundation has granted over $49 million to LGBTQI+ activists and artists in our 45-year history, a proud public foundation, and one of the world’s first queer feminist funds.
As the Director of Employee Experience and Human Resources at the Astraea Foundation, you’ll be at the heart of our mission, dedicated to enhancing the employee experience and leading our HR strategy and function. This role isn’t just a job; it’s an opportunity to lead a revolution in the way we work, combining the best of employee-centric initiatives with the critical responsibilities of HR.
Employee Experience & Culture
- Develop and implement comprehensive people experience strategies that enhance employee satisfaction, engagement, and retention;
- Promote a positive and inclusive workplace culture aligned with the Astraea Foundation’s values, fostering a sense of belonging and diversity;
- Champion cross-cultural HR practices, encouraging a global perspective while respecting local norms and values.
- Champion a positive and inclusive workplace culture that reflects the Astraea Foudation’s values of feminism, diversity, and intersectional advocacy;
- Collaborate with leadership to create policies and programs that reinforce the Astraea Foundation’s commitment to equality and justice;
- Supervise, mentor, and empower the HR team, fostering a collaborative and inclusive work environment;
- Provide guidance on cross-cultural HR practices, encouraging a global perspective while respecting local norms and values.
Alignment with Organizational Goals
- Ensure that all people-experience, and culture initiatives are closely aligned with the Astraea Foundation’s mission and strategic objectives;
- Utilize data analysis to provide HR metrics for informed decision-making, emphasizing diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Maintain an impeccable attention to detail, ensuring the accuracy and reliability of HR data and reports;
- Collaborate with other departments to integrate people-experience and HR priorities into broader organizational planning.
Compliance and Legal Oversight:
- Ensure the Astraea Foundation’s strict compliance with employment laws and regulations in multiple countries, with a specific focus on LGBTQI+ rights, gender equality, and diversity and inclusion;
- Keep up to date with evolving local and international employment laws and regulations, demonstrating a remarkable ability to quickly learn and adapt;
- Handle employee relations, investigations, and conflict resolution in a fair and respectful manner.
Employee Engagement & Retention
- Design and implement employee engagement programs, surveys, and feedback mechanisms to ensure that employee voices are heard and valued;
- Handle employee relations, investigations, and conflict resolution in a fair and respectful manner;
- Develop and execute retention strategies, recognizing the unique needs of the Astraea Foundation’s dedicated workforce;
- Implement innovative solutions to foster loyalty and long-term commitment to the Astraea Foundation’s mission.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Proven experience in HR leadership roles with demonstrable experience in people, culture, and organizational development, ideally with 5-8 years of experience;
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills, with demonstrated ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines and develop creative solutions;
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with a commitment to fostering an inclusive workplace;
- Experience of employee relations, investigations, and conflict resolution and the ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Experience in designing and delivering people policies and practices that drive diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Commitment to intersectional feminism and issues facing intersex, LGBTQI+ and feminist movements and activists globally and acceptance of the Astraea Foundation’s core values and guiding principles as a social justice funder;
- Proficiency in general computer and web-based technology;
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, organizational development, or a related field. Master’s degree is a plus or equivalent work experience.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience working in an international organization, including experience working with remote teams;
- Experience with intersex movements, gender, and racial justice, women’s rights, LGBTQI+ and human rights or social justice movements is highly desirable;
- Comfortable talking about identities and issues related to race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, sex characteristics, class, ability, or gender in plain, specific terms.
Putting into practice our feminist values of being an organization that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive, and acknowledging that we all come from different lived experiences and backgrounds, we recognize work experience in the field over degrees or certifications for this position.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a CV and covering letter, detailing how you fulfill the role description and personal specification to Perrett Laver’s Vacancies page quoting reference 7102. The deadline for applications is Sunday, March 3, 2024, at Midnight EST.
This is a remote, flexible role that will be based in any location in the USA. The Astraea Foundation offers a competitive salary and benefits for this position, including resources for professional development. The annual compensation is $130,000-$140,000 USD.
The Astraea Foundation is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. We select, place, train, and promote the best-qualified individuals based upon relevant factors such as work quality, attitude, and experience to provide equal opportunity for all of our employees without regard to non-work-related factors such as sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sex characteristics, age, marital status, disability, economic status, personal appearance including height and weight, family responsibility, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other status. We strive to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates needing individualized support during the hiring process. Please express that with your cover letter and resume submission.
Protecting your personal data is of the upmost importance to Perrett Laver and we take this responsibility very seriously. Any information obtained by our trading divisions is held and processed in accordance with the relevant data protection legislation. The data you provide us with is securely stored on our computerized database and transferred to our clients for the purposes of presenting you as a candidate and/or considering your suitability for a role you have registered interest in.
Perrett Laver is a Data Controller and a Data Processor, as defined under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Our legal basis for much of our data processing activity is ‘Legitimate Interests’. You have the right to object to us processing your data in this way. For more information about this, your rights, and our approach to Data Protection and Privacy, please see our Privacy Statement.