The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI organizations across the globe. Our grantee partners pursue strategies ranging from arts and cultural activism to international human rights advocacy and work on a diversity of issues such as trans human rights, LGBTQ immigrant rights and freedom from violence.
Program Interns work closely with Astraea’s Program Team to learn about and contribute to our support of over 130 grassroots LGBTQI groups around the world. In addition to learning about Astraea’s history and values, Program Interns receive training and guidance on our progressive grantmaking model and learn about LGBTQI, feminist and social justice movements globally. Interns can expect to be involved in a variety of aspects of Astraea’s grantmaking and capacity building programs, including:
- Assisting with grants processing and awards;
- Responding to inquiries from applicants and grantees;
- Researching conditions experienced by LGBTQI communities in the U.S. and internationally;
- Working with Program Officers to prepare grant summaries for review in grantmaking decisions;
- Producing written and visual content about Astraea’s programs and grantee partners;
- Providing support for program and logistics coordination for Astraea’s grantee partner capacity building priorities (eg CommsLabs);
- Coordinating community briefings by visiting activists;
- Translating key documents to facilitate outreach and communication with grantee partners; and,
- Special projects as needed.
Astraea particularly seeks interns with Spanish, or other language proficiency, in addition to English.
Internships have a minimum commitment of 3 months. Arrangements can be made to work between 10 and 20 hours per week.
Interns are paid $15/hour.
Please send resume/CV and cover letter, to Jobs@astraeafoundation.org in .pdf, doc, or .docx form using Program Intern as the subject line. Or you may submit via the form below. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted. People of color; lesbian, bisexual and queer women; trans and gender non-conforming people; intersex people; and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. For more information visit www.astraeafoundation.org.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.