Intersex Human Rights Fund – Program Associate
Part-time (21 hours a week)
The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world – particularly those led by lesbian and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to challenge oppression and claim rights. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, in our 40 year history we have granted over $40 million to LGBTQI activists and artists.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: PROGRAM ASSOCIATE, INTERSEX HUMAN RIGHTS FUND
Astraea seeks a committed, collaborative and organized person to join our Program Team as a Program Associate for the Intersex Human Rights Fund. Working with the Intersex Fund’s Senior Program Officer and our program team of 11 people, the Program Associate will support the overall day-to-day activities of the Intersex Fund. This includes supporting the Intersex Fund ’s annual grantmaking, supporting the Senior Program Officer to implement accompaniment to intersex grantee partners to strengthen their movements, and ensuring overall smooth operations of the Intersex Fund.
- Support the Intersex Fund Program Officer in grantmaking activities, including screening letters of interest, preparing requests for proposals, coordinating and participating in proposal review, and coordinating proposal review meetings. Prepare grants dockets and meetings of grant advisors.
- Provide support to the Intersex Fund Program Officer during decision-making processes, including sending endorsements, conducting checks for compliance, and following up with all applicants.
- Implement grantee accompaniment activities and program-related meetings, including handling logistics and producing/organizing meeting materials.
- Work with the Senior Grants Manager and the Fiscal Department to prepare, process, and track grants payments.
- Coordinate administrative tasks such as organizing grant files, program documents, payment requests, and grant reports as needed for the Intersex Fund and the overall relationship between the Intersex Fund and the Program Team administrative needs.
- Collaborate with the Communications team to collect and share grantee information, and amplify the work of grantee partners through external channels.
- Minimum two years of programmatic experience in intersex human rights, social justice, human rights and/or philanthropic fields
- Commitment to and knowledge of issues facing global intersex, LGBTQI and feminist movements
- Commitment to racial, economic and gender justice
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple and often competing deadlines
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with a proven track record in developing creative solutions
- Excellent interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal and external relationships
- Very good verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to the work and social justice values of Astraea
- English proficiency and fluency in another language related to Astraea’s and the Intersex Fund’s grantmaking is a strong plus.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 10% of the work schedule.
- Intersex people, people of color, lesbian, bisexual and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Authorization to work in the United States NOT required. The Program Associate may work remotely from their respective region or work out of the Astraea office in New York if they have US work authorization.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send cover letter and resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply via the form below by Monday, November 5, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only applicants considered for interviews will be contacted.
Salary: $30,000 plus benefits (according to in-country requirements)
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. For more information visit www.astraeafoundation.org.