The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice (Astraea) is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. Astraea works for racial, economic, social, and gender justice, because all people deserve to live their lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
Astraea is a public foundation, which means that they raise every dollar they spend. Rooted in LGBTQI communities and movements, they work in strategic partnership with foundations, individuals, and governments to ensure that their resources reach the activists who need them most and who are best positioned to make transformational impact over time. To this end, they raise and distribute funds to programs and initiatives led by and for diverse constituencies, prioritizing groups led by lesbians and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming people, intersex people, and people of color. A community of diverse stakeholders and deep relationships has allowed them to support grassroots organizations in over 90 countries and 40 states. In its 42nd year of operation, Astraea is in its strongest fiscal position ever to support the work of grassroots LGBTQI activists around the world.
Astraea supports brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. Astraea also seeks to expand the community of individuals and institutions that support racial, economic, and gender justice movements; promote community-building, capacity building, and movement-building; and educate donors about money and philanthropic giving as activism. In addition to transformational grants, Astraea provides an additional investment of one-third of any grant in in-kind capacity-support, in areas including strategic communications, healing justice and holistic security, and leadership development.
Astraea has a staff of over 30 people located in the Manhattan office, as well as in remote sites around the U.S. and the world. The Astraea team comes from diverse backgrounds and possesses a wealth of experience and knowledge. Tied together by a deep passion for human rights and social justice, the staff places a high value on self-awareness, commitment to racial justice, shared learning, and genuine kindness.
The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice seeks an experienced fundraising professional to lead Astraea’s individual giving strategy. Working closely with the Executive Director and the Director of Philanthropic Partnerships, the Director leads a (currently) three-person team dedicated to raising $2M+ each year from individuals and special events. The Director develops and implements strategies to maintain and increase revenue from individual donors, including targeted major gift solicitations, directmail campaigns, online and texting campaigns, planned giving and special events — including the potential to also establish corporate sponsorships and corporate relationships. A strong focus on building and managing individual connections through in-person visits and personalized direct written and telephone communications is key.
This is the senior administrative position on the Development Team and is responsible for developing and managing the revenue and expense budget for the Team, as well as managing and developing the highly effective staff. The Director will also work closely with the Board of Directors to support their fundraising efforts. This full-time position will be housed in the New York City office, with a network, reach, and community in New York and beyond.
- Lead high-level stewardship, solicitation, and prospecting of major donors, maintain a personal portfolio and support the Executive Director, Board, and Board Development Committee involvement in their own portfolio management, solicitation and prospecting.
- Design, implement, and supervise the development, planning, and execution of the annual fundraising plan, including all major fundraising and donor cultivation events (such as but not limited to: galas, intimate cocktail parties, house parties, public figure/entertainment/social influencer/donor driven events benefitting Astraea, etc.) and other development-related activities.
- Supervise, mentor and cultivate staff members of Astraea’s Development team to meet their individual goals in service of the team’s fundraising plan(s) as well as contribute to the cultivation of their expertise, interests and skills. Directors should aid in their staffs’ success within the organization and beyond.
- Provide direction and supervision on all stewardship/operational processes, including database management/development, donor filing systems, financial/analysis reports, gift processing and acknowledgments, donor benefits and fulfillment activities, and direct mail campaigns.
- Oversee monthly, quarterly, and yearly plans to quantify individual giving and special events moves management and outcome goals. Director should furnish organization with ambitious evidence-based revenue projections annually, while establishing longer term goals. Director will monitor goals’ efficacy over time and course correct as necessary.
- Work with the Communications Team to produce written and online fundraising collateral and maintain the integrity of Astraea’s messaging and case for support.
- Work with the Programs Team to align Astraea’s fundraising with programmatic priorities and meaningfully include Programmatic staff in Development activities when appropriate.
- Serve as an active member of Astraea’s Senior Management Team, working cooperatively with other senior staff on organization-wide management issues.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, qualities, and competencies:
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in fundraising with a proven track record of achieving revenue targets; success soliciting and managing major gifts (at least $25K, if not significantly more), previous campaign experience and knowledge of planned giving are expected.
- At least three years of experience effectively supervising staff; experience serving as a resource and guide to staff and volunteer fundraisers in successfully cultivating prospects and closing gifts.
- Experience and ease in working with multicultural and socio-economicallly and politically diverse colleagues and communities.
- Strong commitment to and expertise working in a social justice environment with particular emphasis on racial, gender and economic justice.
- Experience developing, leading, and evaluating multi-million-dollar fundraising plans and budgets, and managing multiple restricted revenue streams simultaneously.
- Strong track record producing a diverse array of successful fundraising events.
- Understanding of the LGBTQI funding landscape and community activism; previous relationships with LGBTQI and/or international donors is a significant plus.
- Computer-literate with a strong understanding of fundraising databases; working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge a plus.
- Position largely based in New York City but candidate must have the ability to travel to meet with donors located throughout the U.S with the potential for increased international travel. Candidates with strong relationships/ties in another key geographic area(s) highly welcome.
- Ability and interest in representing Astraea in a variety of public fora.
Top candidates will bring the following personal characteristics:
- Superior organizational skills and ability to handle multiple and often competing deadlines
- Creative strategic thinker with exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to the Astraea mission – professionally and/or personally.
- Passion, a sense of humor, a strong work ethic, and deep open-mindedness.
- Compassionate leader with strong drive who possesses a love of fundraising!
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Director salary will be between $120,000 and $140,000 per year depending upon qualifications and experience. Astraea also offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, Life, AD&D, LTD, STD, 401K with match, FSA, transit, paid leave.
HOW TO APPLY
Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here.
No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer. Astraea’s policy is to select, place, train, and promote the best qualified individuals based upon relevant factors such as work quality, attitude, and experience so as to provide equal opportunity for all employees in compliance with applicable local, state and federal law, and without regard to non-work related factors such as sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, economic status, personal appearance including height and weight, family responsibility, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other status protected by applicable law. This policy applies to all activities, including but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, transfers, promotions and benefits. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
ABOUT KOYA LEADERSHIP PARTNERS
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital-consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.