The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups across the globe. Our grantmaking, capacity building and philanthropic advocacy programs support the work of lesbian, trans, intersex and LGBTQI organizations to challenge oppression and claim rights.
The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice seeks an experienced fundraising professional to lead Astraea’s Individual Giving Strategy. Working closely with the Executive Director and the Director of Philanthropic Partnerships, the Director leads a [currently] three-person team dedicated to raising $2M+ each year from individuals and special events. The Director develops and implements strategies to maintain and increase revenue from individual donors, including targeted major gift solicitations, direct-mail campaigns, online and texting campaigns, planned giving and special events — including the potential to also establish corporate sponsorships and corporate relationships. Strong focus on building and managing individual connections through in-person visits and personalized direct written and telephone communication. This is the senior administrative position on the Development Team and is responsible for developing and managing the revenue and expense budget for the development team. The Director will also work closely with the Board of Directors to support their fundraising efforts.
- Lead high-level stewardship, solicitation, and prospecting of major donors, maintain a personal portfolio and support the Executive Director, Board, and Board Development Committee involvement in their own portfolio management, solicitation and prospecting.
- Design, implement and supervise the development, planning and execution of the annual Fundraising plan, including all major fundraising and donor cultivation events (such as but not limited to: galas, intimate cocktail parties, house parties, public figure/entertainment/social influencer/donor-driven events benefitting Astraea, etc.) and other development-related activities.
- Monitor said fundraising plan, budget, and cash flow for individual giving and special events, as well as other operational components, making strategic adjustments as needed.
- Provide direction and supervision on all stewardship/operational processes, including database management/development, donor filing systems, financial/analysis reports, gift processing and acknowledgments, donor benefits and fulfillment activities, and direct mail campaigns
- Work in close partnership with Director of Philanthropic Partnerships and her team to refer or share relationships supporting multiple channels for engagement; collaborating on meeting organizational fundraising goals.
- Act as liaison and point-of-contact for major donors, donor-advised fund representatives and the Board of Directors.
- Oversee monthly, quarterly and yearly plans to quantify individual giving and special events moves management and outcome goals. Director should furnish organization with ambitious evidence-based revenue projections annually, while establishing longer term goals. Director will monitor goals’ efficacy over time and course correct as necessary.
- Work with the Communications Team to produce written and online fundraising collateral and maintain the integrity of Astraea’s messaging and case for support.
- Work with the Programs Team to align Astraea’s fundraising with programmatic priorities and meaningfully include Programmatic staff in Development activities when appropriate.
- Serve as an active member of Astraea’s Senior Management Team, working cooperatively with other senior staff on organization-wide management issues.
- Supervise, mentor and cultivate staff members of Astraea’s Development team to meet their individual goals in service of the team’s fundraising plan(s) as well as contribute to the cultivation of their expertise, interests and skills. Directors should aid in their staffs’ success within the organization and beyond.
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in fundraising with a proven track record of achieving revenue targets; success soliciting and managing major gifts (at least $25K, if not significantly more), previous campaign experience and knowledge of planned giving are expected.
- Experience developing, leading, and evaluating multi-million-dollar fundraising plans and budgets, and managing multiple restricted revenue streams simultaneously.
- Experience and ease in working with multicultural, socio-economically and politically diverse colleagues and communities.
- Understanding of the LGBTQI funding landscape and community activism; previous relationships with LGBTQI and/or international donors is a significant plus.
- At least three years of experience effectively supervising staff, including remote staff; experience serving as a resource and guide to staff and volunteer fundraisers in successfully cultivating prospects and closing gifts.
- Strong commitment to and expertise working in a social justice environment with particular emphasis on racial, gender and economic justice.
- Strong track record producing a diverse array of successful fundraising events.
- Creative strategic thinker with exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to the Astraea mission – professionally and/or personally.
- Passion, a sense of humor, a strong work ethic, and deep open-mindedness.
- Ability and interest in representing Astraea in a variety of public fora.
- Compassionate leader with strong drive who possesses a love of fundraising!
- Computer-literate with a strong understanding of fundraising databases; working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge a plus.
- Position largely based in New York City but candidate must have the ability to travel to meet with donors located throughout the U.S. Candidates with strong relationships/ties in another key geographic area(s) welcome.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $110K – $130K per year depending upon qualifications and experience. Astraea also offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, Life, AD&D, LTD, STD, 401K with match, FSA, transit, paid leave.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume/CV, cover letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 31. Application will be considered on a rolling basis. Please include Director of Individual Giving and Special Events in the subject line. Or submit application via the form below. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment. People of color, people with disabilities and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply.