The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice, because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grant maker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world – particularly those led by lesbian and queer women, trans and non-binary folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to challenge oppression and claim rights. A proud public foundation and one of the world’s first women’s funds in the world, Astraea has granted over $49 million to LGBTQI activists and artists in our 43-year history.
POSITION DESCRIPTION – Full Time (35hrs/week with benefits)
Astraea prioritizes communications as a core organizing pillar of the organization’s mission by creating political education campaigns for LBTQI and intersectional feminist issues, advocating for greater and better philanthropic resources for LGBTQI people and movements, helping funding reach those who need it most, and by amplifying LGBTQI movement voices through media and communications to raise awareness and shift the narrative. Astraea works to bring voices beyond the mainstream into the public eye and present a nuanced, intersectional vision of LGBTQI movements globally. Through our own media production, we amplify the voices of those least often heard and raise awareness of the most critical issues our communities face.
The Director of Communications reports to the VP of Strategic Engagement and works closely with the Executive Director, the Director of Development, as well as with the Development and Program team staff. They will be responsible for ensuring Astraea meets its media, communications, digital engagement, and campaign goals by providing strategic oversight, vision, and leadership. They will be responsible for Astraea’s internal and external communication and oversee an excellent team of four to develop and implement a comprehensive media/communications plan. The ideal candidate has an excellent understanding of queer and trans feminist movements, leads collaboratively, and values team cohesion, distributive leadership and a more horizontal structure which prioritizes the expertise of team members to achieve the team’s communications goals. Under their leadership the team is responsible for cultivating all strategic relationships with media, design, and digital partners, managing the website, media relationships, and Astraea content production.
- Create comprehensive, goal-based, strategic, and operating media communications plans to expand public awareness of Astraea, our mission, and grantee partners, and generate increased support for the organization.
- Manage external visual and verbal messaging to ensure all communications including print, electronic, and film/video are consistent and effective in promoting Astraea’s mission and vision and have consistent aesthetic design, style, and message.
- Lead editorial direction, design, production, implementation, and distribution for all media, including print, electronic, and film/video.
- Oversee strategic media and press outreach and public relations for print, broadcast, and online media; develop press strategies; cultivate relationships with target reporters and bloggers. Serve as primary media contact for the organization along with the communications writer.
- Visual design leadership: use creativity to harness the power of visual storytelling and design that embody Astraea’s values.
- Represent Astraea at conferences and speaking opportunities, author op-eds and blog posts for print and online media.
- Lead and direct communications and engagement strategies, including editorial standards, brand guidelines, online style guides in support of Astraea’s strategic goals and mission.
- Lead public engagement and advocacy, across all digital touch points, including web, blog, email, and social media.
- Oversee and edit communications materials including donor and funder communications; speeches, articles, publications, website content, promotional messaging, and press releases and outreach materials; concept papers, briefing materials, internal memos, online content, annual reports, white papers, print and digital promotions.
- Oversee the pre-production, production, and post-production for all film and video, working with the communications video editor to create audio-visual work that is impactful, engaging and rooted in LGBTQI movement building.
- Lead the creative development of Astraea visual language and supervise design and development for all digital platforms including style and content of the website, and video content.
- Lead and manage development for new technologies and digital media initiatives.
- Incorporate strategic communications more intentionally and a differentiation with the VP of Engagement on higher level authorities.
- Oversee the creation and implementation of the communications budget with the support of the communications manager.
- The Director of Communications must have a degree or equivalent certifications in communications, fundraising or a related discipline, or have proven years of experience in the field and hands-on experience that is transferable to the position.
- Must have at least 5 years’ experience working in a leadership position where their duties involved the management of comprehensive strategic communications programs and teams for the purpose of advancing the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Must have experience working within philanthropy or the LGBTQI social justice movement building space.
- Experience in building, coaching, and mentoring a team and leading in the implementation of strategies that expand the reach of the organization.
- Preference given to candidates who understand implementing healing justice principles in team management.
- Demonstrated excellence in understanding visual activism and how visual messaging complements written messaging and creates consistency.
- Exceptional written and verbal skills.
- Familiarity with technology, digital and social media and be inclusive of new and emerging technologies.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills.
- We strongly encourage all to apply (especially people of color; lesbian; bisexual; queer; trans and gender non-conforming people; intersex people; and people with disabilities).
Astraea offers a competitive salary and benefits for this position, including resources for professional development. The annual compensation range is $120K – $140K commensurate with experience and qualifications. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Applicants able to work from Astraea’s New York City area (except during the Covid-19 pandemic) preferred, however remote applicants may also be considered. If working remotely, paid travel to New York City may be requested 1-2 times per year.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume/CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org in .pdf, .doc. or .docx format with Director of Communications as the subject heading. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled. No phone calls, please. Only applications being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. We select, place, train and promote the best-qualified individuals based upon relevant factors such as work quality, attitude and experience so as to provide equal opportunity for all of our employees without regard to non-work related factors such as sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, economic status, personal appearance including height and weight, family responsibility, matriculation, political affiliation or any other status. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the application and interview process, please express that with your cover letter and resume submission.