The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world – particularly those led by lesbian and queer women, trans and gender nonconforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to challenge oppression and claim rights. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, in our 40-year history we have granted over $36 million to LGBTQI activists and artists.
Astraea is seeking a Development Associate to support our fundraising activities and grant writing aimed at foundations, corporations and select major donors. We are looking for an individual with an outstanding aptitude for writing and a strong commitment to growing Astraea’s institutional giving. Supervised by the Senior Development Officer for Institutional Giving, the Development Associate will join a dynamic Development Team of seven that raises more than $6M yearly through institutional giving, major gifts, events, annual campaign and more. People of color, lesbian, bisexual and queer women, trans and gender nonconforming people, intersex people, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work closely with Astraea’s Senior Officer for Institutional Giving to support institutional and major donor fundraising activities, with responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Develop, write, and assemble proposals and reports to corporations, foundations, and select major donors, in response to specific and general parameters set forth by funders and donors
- Maintain detailed grant tracking and grants calendar
- Maintain relevant donor files and Raiser’s Edge records, including tracking funder interactions
- Conduct prospect research to identify possible new funding sources
- Develop materials to support ongoing funder stewardship
- Help to plan and execute funder engagement activities, such as funder briefings
- Communicate with funders, primarily with regards to grant reports and proposals
- Coordinate with Astraea’s Program Team to generate narrative content for grant reports and proposals and produce project budgets
- Coordinate with the Fiscal Team to finalize project budgets and generate grant report budgets
- Support the institutional giving activities of Astraea’s fiscally-sponsored projects by serving as their internal point of contact, helping with grant writing as needed, coordinating submission of grant proposals and reports, and tracking grant revenue
- Support the Associate Director of Major Gifts to manage Astraea’s Donor Advised Funds program, including coordinating across teams to develop reports and carry out grants recommendations
- Outstanding writing and research skills; experience with grant writing or communications for fundraising is a plus
- Ability to work efficiently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to handle multiple and often competing deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal and external relationships
- High standard of computer literacy and competence
- Experience with constructing budgets and/or tracking revenue is a plus
- Experience in social justice, human rights and/or philanthropic fields is a plus
- Commitment to and knowledge of issues facing global LGBTQI and feminist movements and LGBTQI racial justice movements in the U.S.
- Passionate about Astraea’s mission as a public foundation and women’s fund
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Authorization to work in the U.S.
- Based in or willing to relocate to New York City
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume/CV, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com in .pdf, doc, or .docx format or submit via the form on our website by November 10. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment.