The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups across the globe. Our grantmaking, capacity building, philanthropic advocacy, and media and communications programs promote and support the work of lesbian, trans, intersex, and LGBTQI organizations to challenge oppression, promote justice, and claim rights.
Position: Communications Intern
The Communications team at Astraea seeks an intern to support projects amplifying the work of Astraea and its grantee partners in the U.S. and all over the world. Communications interns gain experience in media, design, communications, and fundraising at a progressive feminist LGBTQI global foundation. They are involved in a variety of media and marketing aspects including: social media marketing and content production; media production for fundraising campaigns; and social media relationship analysis and cultivation. There will also be potential for interns to support with the organization’s e-newsletters, print publications, and other projects when interested.
Depending on the individual’s skills, interest, and background, intern responsibilities might include:
- Working closely with the Communications Manager to research and draft social media content, written and/or visual, and profile Astraea and grantee partners.
- Collecting information and images from the work of our grantee partners for web, print, and social media projects.
- Organizing photo and/or video content from Astraea’s digital and physical archives.
- Tracking social media trends and researching third party content to be shared on our social media pages.
- Assisting with generating social media and print graphics.
- Assisting with compiling analytics reports and sharing insights from Astraea’s social media performance.
- Using web and social media tools to do desk research.
- Creating blog-post-style content for Astraea’s website highlighting the work of Astraea grantee partners.
- Data visualization: turn grantmaking and funding data into graphics for dissemination on all digital platforms.
- Assisting with communications administration, scanning, and digital file organizing.
Interns would gain exposure into how non-profit design and digital communications are handled. Along with an understanding of the work that Astraea does as a philanthropic organization, they would learn about the work of grantees around the world.
- Computer literacy.
- Fluency with social media trends and tools.
- Organizational skills.
- Familiarity with Adobe suite and/or general graphics software a plus, but not required.
- Knowledge of LGBTQI issues and a desire to learn more about the role of communications in an LGBTQI foundation.
Time & Remuneration:
Interns would be required to work at minimum 2 full days per week, or 3 partial days per week, and no more than 20 hours per week. Internships have a minimum commitment of 3 months.
How to apply:
Please submit resume/CV and cover letter in .pdf, .doc, or .docx format to firstname.lastname@example.org or via the form below by May 17, 2019. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment. People of color, people with disabilities and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment.