The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI+ human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The Astraea Foundation is the first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations; we play a catalytic role for LGBTQI+ groups worldwide – notably those led by lesbian, bisexual, and queer women, trans and gender-nonconforming people, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to build powerful justice movements. The Astraea Foundation has granted over $49 million to LGBTQI+ activists and artists in our 45-year history, a proud public foundation, and one of the world’s first queer feminist funds.
The Astraea Foundation is seeking 2-3 board members with financial, non-profit law, and/or racial equity expertise.
As an Astraea Board member, you will:
- Serve the Board as a voting member. As a voting member, board members’ responsibilities are to review policies, procedures, and regulations for the operation of Astraea, to monitor finances, programs, and performance, and to participate actively in fundraising activities.
- Attend Board meetings. Board members are asked to attend all board meetings and to participate actively. Meetings typically take place virtually via Zoom. Annual in-person meetings will include travel reimbursements (including lodging and airfare) to Board members as needed, with some reasonable restrictions.
- Serve and actively participate in one Board committee. The Board organizes itself through several committees, including the Development, Finance, and Investments, or Board Recruitment Committees.
- Make a donation that is significant to you. Astraea is a cross-class Board, and we ask that all members make a stretch gift that is personally significant and support fundraising efforts. With a flexible give/get policy of $5,000, we will support each board member in finding the right combination of personal giving, fundraising, cultivation, and making new connections.
- Help raise the visibility and work of Astraea within your networks and spheres of influence.
Board Membership Terms
Each member of the Board will serve for two consecutive terms of three years each. Upon completion of the first term, the Board member will conduct a self-evaluation and meet with the Board Co-Chairs. If both the Board and the members agree, there is an opportunity for an additional two years, making the maximum term length eight years. The decision to serve the extra two years is not mandatory.
The core responsibilities of each Astraea Board member are measured by and seen through the prism of feminist social justice. As an organization, the Astraea Foundation’s values shape policy, procedures, and standards for accountability. As a member of the Astraea Foundation’s Board of Directors, we are committed to working cooperatively with other members in all aspects of service. This includes ensuring meeting efficiency, managing conflicts, recruiting and training new members, and providing supportive leadership, supervision, advice, and evaluation to the Executive Director to ensure their success in leading and managing the Foundation, as well as executing its plans. Additionally, Board members are responsible for participating in four broad areas:
- Developing the Astraea Foundation’s governing policies
- Guiding the Astraea Foundation’s long-range planning and development
- Working in partnership with the Executive Director and the staff to ensure the Astraea Foundation’s health in all operational areas (Finance, Development, Communications, Programs, Human Resources)
- Ensuring the financial health of the Foundation
HOW TO APPLY
Apply via email to Rebecca Fox, Vice President of Programs (email@example.com) with your full name and Board Open Call in the subject line. Applications should include your resume and a cover letter detailing your experience and interest in serving as a board member for the Astraea Foundation.
Applications are due by Friday, February 23.