The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world – particularly those led by lesbian, bisexual, and queer women, trans and gender-nonconforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to build powerful movements for justice. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, Astraea has granted over $49 million to LGBTQI activists and artists in our 43-year history.
POSITION DESCRIPTION – Full Time (35 hrs/wk with benefits)
The Assistant Controller is responsible for the day-to-day accounting operations of Astraea, including the preparation of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to reduce risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles). This position reports to the VP, Finance.
*This is a remote position requiring occasional visits to the office for meetings and training. Candidates located in the tri-state area are preferred.
- Provide accurate monthly financial reports to the VP, Finance, department heads, and monthly financial reports to the Board.
- Oversee general ledger and compliance with internal control procedures.
- In collaboration with the VP and Finance, ensure the successful and timely completion of the annual audit with the external auditors that include, balance sheet reconciliations, year-end schedules, 990 tax filings, compliance audits, etc.
- Provide management and direction to two Senior Accountants and an Accounts Payable Associate to manage all aspects of the general ledger.
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- In collaboration with the VP, Finance, coordinate the preparation of Astraea’s annual budget.
- Coordinate with Human Resources to complete the renewal of organization’s commercial insurance and employees’ health insurance.
- Work with Human Resources to manage employee 401(k) retirement programs.
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent experience.
- Five years or more of relevant experience including financial accounting controls, processes, and procedures, preferably in a non-profit environment.
- Experience managing a small team a plus.
- Familiarity with government sources and NICRAS a plus.
- Familiarity with accounting systems such as Blackbaud Financial Edge.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Knowledge of fund accounting.
Astraea offers a competitive salary and benefits for this position, including resources for professional development. The starting annual compensation is $101,000.00. U.S. work authorization is required.
HOW TO APPLY
All applicants must send a resume/CV and cover letter to be considered for the position to email@example.com with Assistant Controller in the subject line or submit via the form on our website by September 3rd, 2021. No phone calls, please. Only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. We select, place, train, and promote the best-qualified individuals based upon relevant factors such as work quality, attitude, and experience so as to provide equal opportunity for all of our employees without regard to non-work-related factors such as sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, economic status, personal appearance including height and weight, family responsibility, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other status. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the application and interview process, please express that with your cover letter and resume submission.