The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice (Astraea) is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. Astraea works for racial, economic, social, and gender justice, because all people deserve to live their lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups across the globe. Our grantmaking, capacity building, philanthropic advocacy, and media and communications programs promote and support the work of lesbian, trans, intersex and LGBTQI organizations to challenge oppression, promote justice and claim rights.
Astraea has a staff of over 30 people located in the New York City office, as well as across three regions. The Astraea team comes from diverse backgrounds and possesses a wealth of experience and knowledge. Tied together by a deep passion for human rights and social justice, the staff places a high value on self-awareness, commitment to racial justice, shared learning, and genuine kindness.
Astraea seeks a creative, dynamic, and knowledgeable leader to join our team as the Interim Director of Programs. This is an incredible opportunity for someone to apply expertise in organizational change management and grantmaking to LGBTQI and gender justice movements, with a strong lens on transforming philanthropy to align its resources with activists’ priorities. We are hiring an Interim Director of Programs at this time so that we can be best aligned with Astraea’s overall transition year, to take a pause to evaluate our leadership needs, and to hone our structure to support these.
Working with our Interim Executive Director, in partnership with the Associate Director of Programs and a talented program team of 14 people, the Interim Director of Programs will support and guide the team through strategy development, achievement of learning objectives, review and adaptation of team structure and bodies of work, and development of efficient cross-team processes, decision-making and accountability. We envision this role to be active over the next 12 months.
The Interim Director of Programs reports to the Interim Executive Director and is based in Astraea’s office in New York City. This is a full-time position with competitive salary and benefits.
People of color, lesbian, bisexual, and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming people, intersex people, and people with disabilities are all strongly encouraged to apply.
- Guide the Program Team through strategy development and learning processes prioritized for 2019-2020
- Lead the review of Program Team structure, roles and bodies of work, in partnership with the Interim Executive Director – towards stronger role clarity across the team and redesign of the Director of Programs role in preparation for a permanent search
- Coordinate the hire of the permanent Director of Programs, in partnership with the Interim Executive Director, and support their onboarding
- Support the Program Team to manage change through organization of team retreats, learning spaces and further development of our learning and evaluation systems
- Support efficiency and smooth functioning of cross-team processes and systems, such as with financial management, monitoring and reporting
- Supervise up to 4 members of the team over the course of the job period, in coordination with the Associate Director of Programs and in alignment with the redesign of the Director of Programs role
- Provide overall guidance, clear decision-making structure and accountability to the Program Team
SPECIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND QUALITIES
- Experience in social justice and/or human rights grantmaking
- Familiarity with needs and issues facing LGBTQI, feminist, and racial justice movements
- Experience with transformative change management and organizational/team development
- Strong facilitation experience: with a focus on leadership development, interpersonal dynamics, and building effective processes
- Experience holding and moving through conflict
- Experience working with large, dynamic teams and facilitating inclusive decision-making practices
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with a track record in the development of creative solutions
- Interest in an internal-facing organizational leadership role
- Aligned with Astraea’s queer, feminist, racial justice values
The Interim Director of Programs salary will be between $140,000 and $150,000 per year depending upon qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
The deadline is rolling until October 31; interviews will begin as early as October 14th and we will make an offer as soon as we find the right candidate. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.