The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice (Astraea) is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. Astraea works for racial, economic, social, and gender justice, because all people deserve to live their lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
Astraea is a public foundation, which means that they raise every dollar they spend. Rooted in LGBTQI communities and movements, they work in strategic partnership with foundations, individuals, and governments to ensure that their resources reach the activists who need them most and who are best positioned to make transformational impact over time. To this end, they raise and distribute funds to programs and initiatives led by and for diverse constituencies, prioritizing groups led by lesbians and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming people, intersex people, and people of color. A community of diverse stakeholders and deep relationships has allowed them to support grassroots organizations in over 90 countries and 40 states. In its 42nd year of operation, Astraea is in its strongest fiscal position ever to support the work of grassroots LGBTQI activists around the world.
Astraea supports brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. Astraea also seeks to expand the community of individuals and institutions that support racial, economic, and gender justice movements; promote community-building, capacity building, and movement-building; and educate donors about money and philanthropic giving as activism. In addition to transformational grants, Astraea provides an additional investment of one-third of any grant in in-kind capacity-support, in areas including strategic communications, healing justice and holistic security, and leadership development.
Astraea has a staff of over 30 people located in the Manhattan office, as well as in remote sites around the U.S. and the world. The Astraea team comes from diverse backgrounds and possesses a wealth of experience and knowledge. Tied together by a deep passion for human rights and social justice, the staff places a high value on self-awareness, commitment to racial justice, shared learning, and genuine kindness.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: DIRECTOR OF PROGRAMS
Astraea seeks a dynamic, committed, and knowledgeable leader to join our team as the Director of Programs. This is an incredible opportunity for someone to apply expertise in grantmaking to LGBTQI and gender justice movements, with a strong lens on transforming philanthropy to align its resources with activists’ priorities.
Working with our talented program team of 14 people, the Director of Programs both develops overarching programmatic strategy and leads day-to-day activities. This includes managing Astraea’s annual $4 million grants budget, developing initiatives to accompany grantee partners and strengthen their movements, actively representing Astraea in philanthropic spaces, and amplifying grantee partners’ work. In addition to leading the Program Team together with the Associate Director of Programs, the Director of Programs participates actively in the overall management of Astraea. The Director of Programs will have the benefit of leading a highly skilled Program Team that has expertise in each of the key regions and themes that Astraea funds.
The Director of Programs reports to the Executive Director and is based in Astraea’s office in New York City.
People of color, lesbian, bisexual, and queer women, trans people, intersex people, and people with disabilities are all strongly encouraged to apply.
- Lead and manage the design and implementation of grantmaking, capacity building, and other programmatic strategies to promote and advance Astraea’s mission, goals, and strategic priorities
- Oversee Astraea’s $4 million in grantmaking to LGBTQI groups in the U.S. and around the world through four funds: U.S. Fund, International Fund, Intersex Fund, and Global Arts Fund
- Lead recruitment, training, management, and leadership development of local and remote Program Team members, including direct supervision of staff
- Represent Astraea in external spaces and develop relationships with donors, activists, and allies to increase Astraea’s visibility, networks, and partnerships. Work with the Executive Director and Management Team to build Astraea’s organizational strategies
- Together with the Director of Philanthropic Partnerships, develop and participate in philanthropic advocacy initiatives to drive more and better resources to Astraea grantee partners and to LGBTQI racial, economic, and gender justice movements overall
- Oversee the implementation of Astraea’s new learning and evaluation framework, designed to support learning from our programs and make the case for this approach
- Develop and manage the annual program budget and workplan
- Actively participate as a key member of Astraea’s Management Team. Act as a strategic partner with the Executive Director and the Director of Communications, Director of Philanthropic Partnerships, Deputy Director, and Director of Individual Giving and Special Events
- Represent the Program Team with Astraea’s Board of Directors
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, qualities, competencies, and characteristics:
- Minimum seven years of experience in social justice and human rights philanthropy. Activist advised and/or public foundation grantmaking experience a plus
- Knowledge of the needs and issues facing LGBTQI, feminist, and racial justice movements with predominant expertise in either global human rights or U.S. social justice grantmaking
- Minimum five years’ experience supervising staff and demonstrated track record of developing a highly skilled team
- Strong intersectional political analysis rooted in racial, economic, and gender justice
- Ability to travel within the US and internationally at up to 30% of work schedule
- Fluency in another language in addition to English a plus
Top candidates will bring the following personal characteristics:
- Experience and ease in working with multicultural and socio-economically and politically diverse colleagues and communities
- Strong commitment to and expertise working in a social justice environment with particular emphasis on racial, gender, and economic justice
- Superior organizational and execution skills with ability to handle multiple priorities and to drive team process to meet goals
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with a proven track record in developing creative solutions
- Deeply honed interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal and external relationships
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including facilitation and public speaking
- Demonstrated commitment to the Astraea mission with appreciation for Astraea’s mission as a public foundation and role as a women’s fund
- Passion, a sense of humor, a strong work ethic, and deep open-mindedness
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The Director of Programs salary will be between $140,000 and $150,000 per year depending upon qualifications and experience. Astraea also offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, 401K with match, FSA, transit, paid leave.
HOW TO APPLY
No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer. Astraea’s policy is to select, place, train, and promote the best qualified individuals based upon relevant factors such as work quality, attitude, and experience so as to provide equal opportunity for all employees in compliance with applicable local, state and federal law, and without regard to non-work related factors such as sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, economic status, personal appearance including height and weight, family responsibility, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other status protected by applicable law. This policy applies to all activities, including but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, transfers, promotions and benefits. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
ABOUT KOYA LEADERSHIP PARTNERS
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital-consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.