The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grant maker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world – particularly those led by lesbian, bisexual and queer women, trans and gender-nonconforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to build powerful movements for justice. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, Astraea has granted over $49 million to LGBTQI activists and artists in our 43-year history.
POSITION DESCRIPTION – Full Time (35 hrs/wk with benefits)
Astraea Foundation for Justice seeks an extremely organized, collaborative, and detail-oriented person to join our Operations Team as an Operations Associate. Working under the Executive Administrative Manager’s direction, the ideal candidate will be a well-versed administrator adept at implementing organizational systems. The ability to set priorities, solve problems, exercise sound judgment, and take the initiative is required. The ideal candidate must be forward-thinking with exemplary oral and written communication skills. The Operations Associate must be computer savvy and prioritize tasks effectively in a cross-functional environment. The ability to interact with a broad spectrum of people and with colleagues who may not be in the same geographic location is essential. This candidate must be resourceful in building relationships across the larger Astraea ecosystem. The chosen candidate must be able to travel to the Manhattan office on an as-needed basis. This is a remote position.
- Collaborate with the finance team to process payment requests, route requests for required authorizations, and monitor receipt to vendors/contractors
- Perform, under minimal supervision, a full range of administrative support functions, including calendar management (e.g., scheduling and rescheduling meetings and informing contacts), payment requests, team travel, and IT support for conferences or other gatherings
- Draft vendor contract agreements and contract amendments for review and approval, send for signature
- Organize and distribute agenda and meetings materials for monthly staff meetings and assist with planning team retreats
- Provide logistical support to team leaders for both internal and external events, including team retreats
- As required, orient new staff to relevant operational procedures and practices and provide general assistance to other office support staff
- Maintain files (paper and electronic) and organize and upkeep shared workspace/databases, including keeping systems updated daily
- Schedule meetings and maintain multiple calendars
- Support with travel arrangements planning across the organization
- Contribute to office space planning needs and projects
- Manage office inventory and supplies
- Set up, organize, and keep the office space (i.e., the conference room, kitchen, etc.) clean and stocked
- Coordinate and oversee usage requests and ongoing general maintenance requests for the office
Learning & Evaluation
- Project management support
- Provide support in editing organizational policy documents to ensure clarity and quality of content
- Support streamlining and management of information and documentation
Cross-Team and Project Support
- Ensure smooth and efficient information flow between internal stakeholders
- Coordinate with other operations associates to support streamlined communication and work planning processes across teams
- Attend meetings and monitor follow-up activities/action items in project management software
- Provide thoughtful feedback and engage in strategic thinking and planning
- Research, compile and prepare background materials for all team communications, such as information collection for reports, publications, and briefs
- Support teams in developing clear working guidelines consistent with the agreed-upon team and organizational priorities
- Support with executing priorities and activities on the team’s work plan by coordinating and maintaining project resources and files
- Maintain regular liaison with team leads regarding organizational workflows
- Putting into practice our feminist values of being an organization that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive and acknowledging that we all come from different lived experiences and backgrounds, we recognize work experience in the field over degrees and certifications for this position
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365, Google Suite, project management software such as Asana, and cloud file storage software such as Box
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust work schedules to meet deadlines and emerging needs
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to understand and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work collaboratively, independently, proactively, creatively, and respectfully with multiple constituencies and audiences
- Passion for Astraea’s mission as a public foundation and women’s fund
- Understanding and acceptance of Astraea’s core values and guiding principles as a social justice funder
- Project management experience
- Commitment to and knowledge of issues facing domestic and global LGBTQI, feminist and racial, economic, and gender justice movements
- Comfortable talking about identities such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, or gender in plain, specific terms
Astraea offers a competitive salary and benefits for this position, including resources for professional development. This is a full-time position with an hourly pay range of $30.22 – $34.93. U.S. work authorization is required.
HOW TO APPLY
All applicants must provide a resume/CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Operations Associate in the subject line or submit via the form on our website by August 10th, 2022. The resume/CV and cover letter can be in a combined document where necessary. Please, no phone calls. Only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. We select, place, train, and promote the best-qualified individuals based upon relevant factors such as work quality, attitude, and experience to provide equal opportunity for all of our employees without regard to non-work-related factors such as sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sex characteristics, age, marital status, disability, economic status, personal appearance including height and weight, family responsibility, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other status. We strive to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates needing individualized support during the hiring process. Please express that with your cover letter and resume submission.