The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world – particularly those led by lesbian and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to challenge oppression and claim rights. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, in our 40 year history we have granted over $40 million to LGBTQI activists and artists.
LGBTQ RACIAL JUSTICE FUND
Housed at Astraea, the LGBTQ Racial Justice Fund (RJF) is a landmark funder collaborative dedicated to addressing root causes of injustice for LGBTQ people of color in the U.S. In its first five years of grantmaking, RJF awarded more than $4 million to grassroots organizations and strategic campaigns in the U.S. South, a region that is home to powerful multi-issue organizing led by LGBTQ people of color. RJF supports organizations working on issues such as mass incarceration, criminalization, homelessness, and the rights of LGBTQ youth of color at school and at home. The RJF strengthens cross-issue movement-building in the U.S. through: yearly core grantmaking; building capacity and leadership; and donor education and advocacy to expand and improve the quality of resources available to this work.
Astraea seeks a committed, collaborative and organized person to join our Program Team as a Program Associate for the LGBTQ Racial Justice Fund. Working with our program team of 14 people, the Program Associate will support the day-to-day activities and overall administration of the LGBTQ Racial Justice Fund. This includes: supporting Astraea’s $1 million in annual grantmaking in the U.S., supporting Program Officers to provide technical assistance and accompaniment to grantee partners to strengthen movements, and supporting overall smooth operations of the team. People of color, lesbian, bisexual and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming people, intersex people, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. This position will ideally be based in Astraea’s office in New York. Candidates based in the South are also eligible to apply to hold the position remotely.
- Grant Cycle Support
- Support RJF grantmaking activities, including screening letters of interest, updating proposal forms and engaging in outreach with requests for proposals, participating in proposal review, and supporting grant decision-making meetings.
- Provide support to Program Officers during review and decision-making processes, including sending endorsement requests, conducting checks for compliance, and following up with all applicants.
- Prepare grants dockets and other materials for meetings of advisors, LGBTQ Racial Justice Fund steering committee, funding partners or external audiences.
- Accompaniment, Technical Assistance, and Other Program Activities
- Provide logistical and communications support for Racial Justice Fund member calls, meetings, and ongoing coordination.
- Support implementation of grantee accompaniment activities, philanthropic advocacy and engagement activities, and program-related meetings, including handling logistics (travel, venues, lodging, catering, audio-visual & translation needs), and producing/organizing meeting materials. Accompaniment is defined as the strong relationship-building and programmatic activities carried out in partnership with our grantee partners to deepen access to the resources, expertise, networks, tools and funding they need and to demonstrate support and solidarity.
- Grant Administration
- Work with the Senior Grants Manager and the Fiscal Department to support grant disbursement processes, including generating grant agreements and processing payments.
- Coordinate administrative tasks such as maintaining up to date grantee data in database and server and maintaining timely and accurate filing of all grantee information.
- Cross-team collaborative work
- Support the learning & evaluation activities of the RJF, including coordinating with Program Officers on mid-term check-in calls with grantee partners and contributing to the review and analysis of grantee reports/program activities.
- Collaborate with the Communications and Development teams to collect and share grantee information, and amplify the work of grantee partners through external channels.
- Participate in organization-wide working groups, planning and other activities as identified.
- Minimum two years of programmatic experience in social justice, human rights and/or philanthropic fields.
- Commitment to and knowledge of issues facing LGBTQI racial justice movements in the U.S., and particularly in the U.S. South
- Commitment to racial, economic and gender justice
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to handle multiple and often competing deadlines
- Proficiency in general computer and web-based technology including word processing, spreadsheets, and email. Previous experience with program-related database systems and /or project management applications a plus.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with a proven track record in developing creative solutions and trouble-shooting under tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal and external relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong collaborative approach, including kindness and humor in partnering with others
- Passion for Astraea’s mission as a public foundation and role as a women’s fund
- Fluency in Spanish in addition to English a plus
Astraea offers a competitive salary and benefits for this position. Starting annual compensation for this position is $55,000.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume/CV and cover letter to email@example.com in .pdf, doc, or .docx format with the position title as the subject heading by March 15, 2020. These materials may also be submitted via the form below. No phone calls, please. Only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. For more information visit www.astraeafoundation.org.