The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world – particularly those led by lesbian and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to challenge oppression and claim rights. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, in our 43-year history we have granted over $40 million to LGBTQI activists and artists. With a long history of funding intersex and trans movements across the globe, Astraea manages the Intersex Human Rights Fund and is the fiscal host of the International Trans Fund.
Astraea seeks a consultant to manage the implementation of a three-year initiative, Building our Movements: Supporting Intersex and Trans Defenders to Claim their Rights and Advocate for Change, supported by the European Instrument for Democracy and Human Rights (EIDHR). This initiative is a partnership among Astraea’s Intersex Human Rights Fund, the International Trans Fund, SIPD Uganda, the Asia Pacific Trans Network, and ILGA World. Via participatory grantmaking, capacity building, regional networking, international advocacy and institutional strengthening, the initiative aims to bolster the efforts of intersex- and trans-led movements in Africa, Asia and the Pacific to protect and realize the human rights of intersex and trans communities.
The Intersex and Trans Movement-Building Project Manager will work with Astraea and all partners to manage the implementation of this exciting initiative. The consultancy can be based anywhere in the world. Estimated level of effort (LOE) is approximately 14 hours/week on average. Intersex and trans people and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Manage the development, implementation and evaluation of the project workplan
- Manage relationships with partners, including oversight of contracts, workplans and reporting
- Coordinate the initiative’s management team, which includes representatives from all partners; organize regular coordination calls and annual in-person meetings
- Develop and implement the initiative’s monitoring & evaluation and communications & visibility strategies
- Oversee the budget, tracking expenditures and coordinating with partners
- Prepare regular and timely reports to the EIDHR
- Liaise with the EIDHR Contracting Authority as needed
- Ensure that Astraea and consortium partners comply with EIDHR regulations
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience managing bilateral or multilateral funding, with a very strong preference for experience implementing EU-funded projects
- Knowledge of issues facing intersex, trans and LGBTQI organizations and movements
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal and external relationships
- Fluency in English
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Passionate about Astraea’s mission as a public foundation and role as a feminist fund
- Commitment to racial, economic and gender justice
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Competence in other languages is a strong asset
- Experience working transnationally across diverse geographies, cultural contexts and languages
- Programmatic experience supporting intersex and/or trans human rights
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume/CV, cover letter and relevant bid information to firstname.lastname@example.org in .pdf, doc, or .docx format or submit via the form below by February 26, 2020. Please note that maximum total compensation for this position is 34,000 EUR, annually. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. For more information visit www.astraeafoundation.org.