The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world – particularly those led by lesbian and queer women, trans and gender nonconforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to build powerful movements for justice. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, in our 42-year history we have granted over $40 million to LGBTQI activists and artists.
The Astraea Development Team is seeking an experienced project management consultant to support our donor relationship management/donor stewardship for two-days/16 hours a week. We are in a transition period and currently at low team capacity, and we would like to devise an efficient and effective system for keeping our donors engaged and up to date on Astraea’s activities while we build out our capacity. The role would be internal-facing with a focus on creating and managing the implementation of a donor stewardship plan alongside the Development Team and then coordinating Astraea staff (including the Development Team and others) and board members to action the plan. The project manager would be responsible for prompting staff and board to engage with donors according to the plan, and for creating a system to capture the resulting donor interactions. The project manager would be supervised by a member of the Development Team. The project manager can work remotely, with the opportunity to meet in Astraea’s office if in or near NYC.
Please note: This role is currently envisioned as a consultant role but depending on organizational budget and needs, there is the potential for this role to become permanent.
- Design and implement a short-term donor cultivation plan and engagement strategies with the support of the Development Team.
- Conduct research as needed into particular donors to support Development team to more comprehensively understand the background and motivations of individual donors.
- Create clear and tailored actionable steps for relationship holders (e.g. Astraea board and specific staff), with the goal of building stronger relationships with donors.
- Communicate regularly with and guide Astraea board and specific staff to ensure high levels of donor engagement.
- Develop a relationship management tracking system that tracks donor engagement by Astraea board and staff and enables progress reports [this system will be handed over to the Development Team at the close of the consultancy]
- Track, evaluate and present relevant giving information in a format that enables these communications to be properly recorded in our donor information database, Raiser’s Edge (system to be vetted by the Development Team to ensure it aligns with Raiser’s Edge input requirements).
- Share progress updates with the Development Team point person.
- Deliver a closing assessment document and presentation to the team which will include reviewing the body of work completed, and make suggestions for next steps and critical areas for future engagement.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Strong track record of successful project management, with a preference for experience in the nonprofit or philanthropy sectors. Specific experience with fundraising project management or fundraising more broadly a huge plus, especially donor relationship management.
- Experience with donor research/prospect research a big plus.
- Assertive, with a willingness to engage across all levels of the organization to move projects forward, from staff to management team to board.
- Proactive, with the ability to spot risks/issues as they arise and troubleshoot them with the Development Team.
- Good communicator who is able to tailor communication style to different situations and personalities.
- Extremely detail oriented and organized, able to hold multiple deadlines at once.
- Collaborative and a team player who is also willing to take a project and run with it.
- Familiarity with GSuite, Asana and Box a huge plus.
HOW TO APPLY
The deadline is rolling until October 15; we will make an offer as soon as we find the right candidate. Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com to apply. Please include a cost proposal and/or your usual rate (as part of the cover letter or separately) for the scope of work outlined above.