The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world – particularly those led by lesbian and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to challenge oppression and claim rights. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, in our 42 year history we have granted over $40 million to LGBTQI activists and artists.
Astraea seeks a committed, collaborative and organized person to join our Program Team as a Program Associate for the International Fund. Working in our 14-member program team, the Program Associate will support the day-to-day activities of the International Fund. This includes supporting $2 million in grantmaking across the Global South & East, supporting International Fund Program Officers to provide accompaniment and technical assistance to grantee partners to strengthen movements, and supporting overall smooth operations of the team. People of color/racialized people, lesbian, bisexual and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming people, intersex people, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Grant Cycle Support
- Support International Fund grantmaking activities, including screening letters of interest, updating proposal forms and engaging in outreach with requests for proposals, participating in proposal review, and supporting grant decision-making meetings.
- Provide support to Program Officers during review and decision-making processes, including sending endorsement requests, conducting checks for compliance, and following up with all applicants.
- Prepare grants dockets and other materials for meetings of International Fund advisors, board members, funding partners or external audiences.
- Accompaniment, Technical Assistance, and Other Program Activities
- Support implementation of grantee accompaniment activities and program-related meetings, including handling logistics (travel, venues, lodging, catering, audio-visual and translation needs), and producing/organizing meeting materials. Accompaniment is defined as the strong relationship-building and programmatic activities carried out in partnership with our grantee partners to deepen access to the resources, expertise, networks, tools and funding they need and to demonstrate support and solidarity.
- Grant Administration
- Work with the Senior Grants Manager and the Fiscal Department to support grant disbursement processes, including generating grant agreements and processing payments
- Coordinate administrative tasks such as maintaining up to date grantee data in database and server and maintaining timely and accurate filing of all grantee information
- Cross-team collaborative work
- Support the learning & evaluation activities of the International Fund, including coordinating with Program Officers on mid-term check-in calls with grantee partners and contributing to the review and analysis of grantee reports/program activities
- Collaborate with the Communications and Development teams to collect and share grantee information, and amplify the work of grantee partners through external channels
- Participate in organization-wide working groups, planning and other activities as identified
- Minimum two years of programmatic experience in social justice, human rights and/or philanthropic fields
- Commitment to and knowledge of issues facing global LGBTQI and feminist movements, including the regions of Africa, Asia and Pacific, Eastern Europe and Central Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East
- Commitment to racial, economic and gender justice
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to handle multiple and often competing deadlines.
- Proficiency in general computer and web-based technology including word processing, spreadsheets, and, e-mail. Previous experience with program-related database systems and/or project management applications a plus.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with a proven track record in developing creative solutions and trouble-shooting under tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal and external relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong collaborative approach, including kindness and humor in partnering with others
- Passion for Astraea’s mission as a public foundation and role as a women’s fund
- Fluency in another language in addition to English, in particular Spanish, French or Mandarin, a strong plus
SALARY & COMPENSATION
Astraea offers a competitive salary and benefits for this position. Starting annual compensation for this position is $55,000.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume/CV and cover letter to email@example.com in .pdf, doc, or .docx format with the position title as the subject heading by March 15, 2020. These materials may also be submitted via the form below. No phone calls, please. Only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. For more information visit www.astraeafoundation.org.