The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice (Astraea) and Mama Cash are leading a collaborative project that is creating space for the articulation of a funding agenda for lesbian, bisexual and queer (LBQ) women and non-binary people and advocating for increased philanthropic support for their activisms. In June 2020 we launched the report Vibrant Yet Under-Resourced: the State of Lesbian, Bisexual, and Queer Movements based on a survey of nearly 400 LBQ women’s and non-binary people’s groups working in every region of the world. Their responses provide the most comprehensive data available on how LBQ groups are organizing, their financial status, their funding and capacity needs and priorities, and the barriers they face in accessing funding. The report also presents data from a survey with foundation donors that, among others, fund LBQ groups and movements. The donor data sheds light on how LBQ groups are being funded and how donors’ funding approaches can be strengthened.
Astraea and Mama Cash are now embarking on the next phase of the project that is specifically focused on influencing the philanthropic sector to increase and improve funding for LBQ groups and movements around the world, based on the findings and recommendations of the report.
Note on terminology: In the context of this project, LBQ focuses on sexual identity and is inclusive of all lesbian, bisexual, and queer women (both trans and cis, dyadic and intersex), and all non-binary people who relate to a lesbian, bisexual and/or queer identity. We use the values of self-determination, queer and trans-inclusive feminism, and gender justice to guide this project.
Consultant Role, Fees & Timeline
In order to support the core project team in reaching our advocacy goals and objectives, Astraea and Mama Cash are looking for a Project Coordinator who will support the team on a part-time basis (approx. 4 business days a month) by carrying out essential administrative and programmatic tasks. Astraea and Mama Cash have budgeted $700 per work day for this consultancy.
The candidate can be located anywhere, but with availability for meetings in the morning hours in New York and the afternoon hours in Cape Town and Amsterdam.
The time period for the consultancy is September 28, 2020 – December 31, 2020 (with a potential for extension till summer 2021).
- Jointly develop and manage detailed project workplan and contribute to its implementation, particularly focusing on our Dissemination and Advocacy Strategy
- Support the management of relationships with internal and external partners and stakeholders, including Astraea and Mama Cash staff as well as activist and donor advisors
- Develop agendas and materials for webinars, meetings, and presentations that share findings and recommendations from the Vibrant Yet Under-Resourced report
- Support the development and production of new project materials, such as donor briefs
- Oversee the project budget, track expenditures and prepare payment requests
- Coordinate the work of the core project team (representatives from Astraea and Mama Cash) by scheduling regular online meetings, documenting discussions and action items, and following through their implementation
We are seeking a consultant with the following skills and experiences:
- Some programmatic experience in social justice, human rights and/or philanthropic fields
- Commitment to and knowledge of issues facing global LGBTQI and feminist movements
- Experience with and knowledge of global LBQ women’s organising and issues, including an understanding of the range of programmatic approaches used by activists
- Experience of working with donors and some understanding of the philanthropic sector
- Commitment to racial, economic and gender justice
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to handle multiple and often competing deadlines
- Proficiency in general computer and web-based technology including word processing, spreadsheets, and e-mail. Previous experience with project management applications is a plus
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with a proven track record in developing creative solutions and trouble-shooting under tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Passion for Astraea and Mama Cash’s missions as feminist public foundations and their role in philanthropy
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a brief letter of interest and a CV/resume via email to C.de.Nobrega@mamacash.org and S.Jessop@mamacash.org with the subject line: LBQ Philanthropic Advocacy Project Coordinator. The deadline to apply for this consultancy is August 26, 2020. (Please do not use the below form to submit your application.)
The expected start date of the consultancy is September 28, 2020. Please note that only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Trans and non-binary people, intersex people, lesbian, bisexual and queer women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, and members of other marginalised communities are strongly encouraged to apply.