The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world – particularly those led by lesbian, bisexual and queer women, trans and gender nonconforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to build powerful movements for justice. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, in our 43-year history we have granted over $44 million to LGBTQI activists and artists.
Building on a decade of institutional and programmatic growth, Astraea is working to bolster our Development team and strategies in order to support our long-term sustainability as a resource partner to our movements. Astraea is largely funded via institutional partners, with individual giving accounting for 10-20% of our annual revenue. We seek to diversify our resources, first via deeper stewardship of our current 700+ active donors and then by expanding our donor base. While we work to staff up on the individual giving side of our work, we are seeking an experienced development consultant to assess our current individual giving strategies and systems, recommend priority focus areas for the next three years, and partner with us as we begin implementation of those priorities.
- Assess our current individual giving strategies, both external fundraising tactics and internal donor systems, in order to identify strengths and areas for improvement
- Contribute expert knowledge about individual giving strategies, with attention to current opportunities and challenges in the fundraising landscape as well as alignment with Astraea’s social justice values
- Based on this analysis, recommend priority focus areas for the next three years (e.g. planned giving, grassroots fundraising, prospecting, approaches to donor giving levels) to strengthen our current strategies and to reach new donors to support Astraea’s work
- Identify clear action steps to advance a set number of these priorities, and provide accompaniment support to Development team members (across direct fundraising staff and donor systems and database staff) as they begin implementation
- Written assessment of Astraea’s current individual giving strategies and set of recommendations for priority focus areas to strengthen and grow
- Other deliverables to be identified based on the above assessment and in collaboration with Development staff (for example: revision of planned giving materials and identification of action steps to build out planned giving with current donors; development and implementation of tactics to increase monthly giving and base of grassroots donors)
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Strong individual giving expertise, with a preference for experience with social justice philanthropy, grassroots fundraising, and engaging donors with wealth
- Strong track record as a consultant supporting development shops to hone strategy, including at least 15 years of experience
- Passion for community-centric fundraising and leading with values of racial, economic and gender justice
- Creative thinker with a strengths-based approach
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a brief proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org, including a cost proposal and/or daily rate for the scope of work, by January 22, 2021.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. We strongly encourage all to apply, especially Black, Indigenous and People of Color; lesbian, bisexual, queer, trans and gender non-conforming people; intersex people; and people with disabilities.