The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world – particularly those led by lesbian, bisexual and queer women, trans and gender nonconforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to build powerful movements for justice. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, Astraea has granted over $46 million to LGBTQI activists and artists in our 43-year history.
POSITION DESCRIPTION – Full Time (35 hrs/wk with benefits)
Astraea seeks an extremely organized, collaborative, and detailed-oriented New York City based person to join our Program Team as a Grants Management Associate. Working with a dynamic team of 12 people, the Grants Management Associate works to ensure that every one of Astraea’s applicants and grantee partners has a smooth and welcoming experience with our application and grantmaking systems.
The Grants Management Associate (GMA), reporting to the Senior Grants Manager, to supports the compliance, due diligence, and processing of $6 million+ of grantmaking per year in more than 65 countries, spread across more than 340 grants per year. The GMA’s work is integral to increasing Astraea’s grantmaking capacity, improving efficiency, and ensuring that Astraea is in line with the field’s best practices.
- Review proposals for due diligence and compliance
- Generate and send grant documents throughout the year
- Prepare, process, and track grant documents, payments, and final reports
- Keep multiple databases and tracking systems up to date daily
- Reply to grantee partners within days of their emails in multiple languages, using translation software or templated language
- Work with the Fiscal Team and grantees on payment, fiscal sponsor, or other due diligence problems
- Solicit references and endorsements via email
- Monitor integrity of grants data; data cleanup and data entry projects as needed
- Conduct ongoing grants management training for staff
- Participate in professional development and peer learning through the national Grants Managers’ network and other professional groups
- Work with the Program Team, and all staff at Astraea, to operationalize our shared vision and values with all grantee and philanthropic partnerships.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required.
- Two years or more of administrative or data-intensive work experience in social justice, human rights and/or philanthropic fields.
- Fluency in Spanish is a strong plus, and fluency in another language common to our grantee partners such as French or Mandarin is welcome
- Fastidious attention to detail when tracking large amount of complicated data
- Ability to multi-task and handle complicated administrative projects
- Commitment to applying an anti-oppressive lens to organizational operating principles and practices
- Interest in public philanthropy and grants management
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize when facing multiple and sometimes competing deadlines
- Ability to adapt to new database, data-tracking tools, and protocols
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with a proven track record in developing creative solutions
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills to manage a wide variety of internal organizational relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Astraea offers a competitive salary and benefits for this position, including resources for professional development. The hourly compensation is $30.22/hr totaling $55,000 annually. This position is eligible for Astraea’s generous benefits package. U.S. work authorization is required.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume/CV, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com by February 15th , 2020. Please include “Grants Management Associate (GMA)” in the subject line or submit application via our website. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. We strongly encourage all to apply, especially Black, Indigenous and People of Color; lesbian, bisexual, queer, trans and gender non-conforming people; intersex people; and people with disabilities. For more information, visit astraeafoundation.org.