The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice, because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world – particularly those led by lesbian and queer women, trans and non-binary folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to challenge oppression and claim rights. A proud public foundation and one of the world’s first women’s funds in the world, in our 42-year history we have granted over $40 million to LGBTQI activists and artists.
Astraea seeks a committed, collaborative, and organized person to join our communications team as a Communications Associate. The Communications Associate will support the day-to-day operations of the team and play a pivotal role in the team’s efforts to communicate the values and impact of Astraea and our grantee partners to a wide and diverse audience. The Communications Associate will work closely with the Senior Communications Manager to implement graphic, web, social media, and other communications strategies and tactics developed by the team. In addition, the Associate does research, and provides administrative support as required. Candidates should have deep alignment with Astraea’s mission and values, and an interest in using digital systems to support Astraea’s mission to resource LGBTQI organizations in the U.S. and around the world.
Essential Job Functions
- Research and draft a weekly calendar of social media content, written and/or visual, on multiple platforms, profiling Astraea and grantee partners.
- Present and report on social media analytics and work towards achieving identified targets and benchmarks.
- Review and make recommendations on new media to use in our communications work.
- Support the Senior Communications Manager in the development of social media campaigns for annual tactical times of year, for example Trans Day of Visibility, International Women’s Day, and International Sex Workers’ Day.
- Share insights from Astraea’s social media performance for tactical times of the year and social media holidays.
- Generate visual assets in graphic design including assets for print, web, video, social media, events, web banners, invitations and other Astraea material.
- Maintain the database of press and vendor contacts.
- Assist with website content management.
- Work with the Communications Program Officer to research media op-eds and support in developing media relationships. Support in research of written materials like eblasts, including support for grant announcements.
- Support the launch of reports; this may include tasks such as proofreading and drafting social media posts and visuals.
- Support on editing and proofreading of report content and media engagement.
- Support with extensive desk research and synthesis of grantee learnings, highlights and impact in order to turn these into blogs and external grant announcement updates.
- Assist in researching best practice social/digital media case studies.
- With Astraea’s Video Editor, help build & manage Astraea’s photo and video archive, working with program, development and executive teams.
Education and Certification
The Communications Associate must have a degree or equivalent experience in communications, marketing, media or a related discipline. Experience within LGBTQI social justice movement building or philanthropy communications spaces a major plus.
Special Skills and Knowledge
- Thorough experience with LGBTQI movements grounded in gender, racial and economic justice.
- Familiarity and fluency with basic social media platforms, tools, and trends.
- Design skills, including familiarity with Adobe suite, preferred.
- Prior experience (even if brief) with CMS platforms preferred, but not required.
- Willingness to learn how to use new tools and software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, self-management skills, and ability to handle multiple and often competing deadlines.
- Strong collaborative approach, including kindness and humor in partnering with others.
Salary & Compensation
This is a part-time, 4 days/week position. Payment will be $30.22/hr, totaling about $47,000 annually. This position is eligible for Astraea’s generous benefits package.
Applicants able to work from Astraea’s New York City office (except during the Covid-19 pandemic) preferred, however remote applicants may also be considered. If working remotely, paid travel to New York City may be requested 1-2 times per year. Applicant must be authorized to work in the United States.
How to Apply
Please send resume/CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org in .pdf, .doc. or .docx format with the position title as the subject heading by September 13, 2020. Applications may also be submitted via the form below. If the position is not filled by September 13, 2020, additional applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please. Only applications being considered for interviews will be contacted.