The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice (Astraea) is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. Astraea works for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because all people deserve to live their lives freely, without fear and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups across the globe. Our grantmaking, capacity building, philanthropic advocacy, and media and communications programs promote and support the work of lesbian, trans, intersex and LGBTQI organizations to challenge oppression, promote justice and claim rights.
Astraea has a staff of over 30 people located in the New York City office, as well as across three regions. The Astraea team comes from diverse backgrounds and possesses a wealth of experience and knowledge. Tied together by a deep passion for human rights and social justice, the staff places a high value on self-awareness, commitment to racial justice, shared learning, and genuine kindness.
Astraea seeks a Chief Financial Officer who will lead and oversee all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities. The CFO is responsible for the development of Astraea’s financial management strategy and is a key player in the development of the organization’s strategic goals. In addition, the CFO develops and implements policies and procedures in finance and oversees all compliance and recognition for government contracts (federal and international, as well as private grants). The CFO serves as a strategic thought partner to the Executive Director.
- Develop and monitor budgets
- Oversee cash flow management
- Analyze trends for the benefit of informing strategic planning
- Forecast return on investment (ROI) for current and future programs
- Inform key stakeholders of financial status and investment plans
- Present monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements to the Executive Director, senior managers, the finance committee and the Board of Directors
- Coordinate audit activities, including guiding staff in fulfilling their responsibilities to prepare for and deliver necessary documents for the audit
- Supervise the accounting department to ensure smooth day to day transactions
- Engage the finance committee of the board of directors to develop short-medium, and long-term financial plans and projections
- Represent Astraea to financial partners, including financial institutions, funders, and auditors
- Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal laws and ensure compliance with same
- Ensure maintenance of internal controls and financial procedures
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for funders
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions
- A minimum of 10 years proven leadership experience as a CFO, preferably in a nonprofit organization
- Experience managing finance (accounting, budgeting, control and reporting) for complex organizations with multiple funding sources including government contracts
- Excellent knowledge of data analysis, risk management, and forecasting methods
- Hands on experience with accounting and financial management software and expertise in MS Excel
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience in a senior financial management role
- Ability to explain financial terms in simple language
- BSc or MSc in Finance, Accounting or relevant field-CPA preferred
- Broad experience with the full range of nonprofit functions and systems, including information technology, HR and operations
- Knowledge of federal, state and fiscal laws, and regulations related to nonprofit organizational management
- Experience working in international organizations a plus
- Passion for Astraea’s mission and commitment to social justice
Astraea offers a competitive salary and benefits for this position. The salary will be between $140,000 and $150,000 depending upon qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
The deadline for application is January 31, 2020. Please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com.